Stuffed with seasoned ground beef and cheese, then tucked into a waffle maker to get brown and crispy, these quick and easy Taco Waffle Pockets are the perfect week night meal for busy sports families!
Fellow busy families, this easy dinner recipe is the perfect reason to skip the drive through this week! These Taco Waffle Pockets got two thumbs up from my teenage athletes – “Mom, this is my favorite blog recipe you’ve done. EVER.” – and they disappeared in no time flat! They are perfectly portable so they can be made quickly before you have to hop in the car for practice!
Quick & Easy Taco Waffle Pockets
There are only 3 ingredients and I’ve got step by step instructions, so let’s hit the kitchen! Here is what you’ll need from your fridge:
- One lb. of ground beef, chicken or turkey, browned and seasoned with one taco seasoning packet (For a really easy dinner, you can even purchase pre-cooked and seasoned taco meat that can be heated in the microwave. This is a judgement free zone, so feel free to do what works best for your family).0
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Two 8-count tubes of large refrigerator biscuits
Dust off that waffle maker and plug it in to heat up while you assemble the taco pockets.
First, split each biscuit into two halves and flatten them out into thin rounds. Quick tip: use a cookie scoop to portion out the meat onto the bottom of the pockets.
Then, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the ground beef. If your family likes a little heat, you could use pepper jack cheese or even tuck in a few jalapeno slices.
Next, place the flattened top half of the pocket over the meat and cheese. Use your fingers to stretch it over the filling and press the edges of the top and bottom biscuits to seal the pocket.
Pop these easy biscuit pockets into your preheated waffle iron. My waffle iron has 4 square-ish sections so I cooked four Taco Waffle Pockets at a time. Each batch of these cheesy, taco-flavored pockets took about 4 minutes. So I was able to get dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. Just look at those golden brown waffled tacos!
My favorite part of these Taco Waffle Pockets is that little bit of cheese around the edges that snuck out to get crispy and crunchy! Our family loves to dip these in salsa, but sour cream, guacamole and even chipotle ranch are great choices to serve alongside these.
- One lb. of ground beef, chicken or turkey – browned, drained and seasoned with taco seasoning
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Two 8-count cans of large refrigerator biscuits
- Salsa, sour cream and guacamole (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Split each biscuit in half and flatten each half out into a thin round.
- Use a 1 oz. cookie scoop to portion taco meat onto the bottom half of the biscuit.
- Sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
- Use your fingers to press the top half of the biscuit over the filling. Press the edges together to seal the pocket.
- Place the pockets on the waffle iron, close the lid and check around 4 minutes. (Cooking time may vary with different waffle irons.)
- Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole.
More Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes!
Barbara is the mom behind the blog. She began writing in 2012 as the creator of Hello Life, a craft & lifestyle blog. As life evolved, and her kids became more involved in sports, she aimed to create a site that would resonate with moms like her, and in 2017 Modern Sports Mom was born. Like many of today’s mamas, she loves being creative, cooking, and fashion, and when there are a few minutes to spare, a good book. A baseball and football mom, she is fueled by her strong faith, dedication to her family, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee! Barbara lives in California with her husband, kids, dog, and cat.