Whether you are sitting on the sidelines or cheering from the stands, say goodbye to plain ol’ water with these Summer Sippers – 7 Delicious Ways to Stay Hydrated!
We have all been there: It’s a long tournament day. You made it on time, you remembered all of the gear, the sun is shining, you have settled into your chair and you are ready to cheer your team on to victory! It is also H-O-T!!
In any sport, staying hydrated is critical for players. Exertion and heat cause sweat. Sweat causes the body to lose water (with salt, carbs and protein) in an effort to cool down. Replacing the fluid lost during sweating is key to keeping players performing to the best of their abilities.
The same can be said for family, friends and fans, too. So enjoy these tasty ways to keep cool during all those Summer games!
Summer Sippers – 7 Delicious Ways to Stay Hydrated!
- Frozen Fruit – This is a great way to keep water cold and infuse fruit flavor. Cut up your favorite fruit – sliced oranges, halved strawberries, cubed melon – and pop it in the freezer for a few hours. Add it to your insulated tumbler or water bottle instead of or along with ice.
- Frozen Juice – Pour your favorite fruit juice into an ice cube tray and pop it in the freezer for a few hours. Use the frozen juice cubes to add fruity flavor to plain or sparkling water.
- Flavored Sparkling Water – Fizz = refreshing! Look for interesting flavors of sparkling water like blood orange, pineapple and cherry lime
- Coconut Water – Coconut water is a natural source of electrolytes and has less sugar than most sport drinks. You will definitely need to be a coconut fan, but there are lots of flavor blends like coconut pineapple. Hello Piña Colada 😉
- Non-Dairy Smoothies and Slushes – Blend frozen fruit (bananas, watermelon, strawberries) with ice, frozen fruit juice or coconut water for a refreshing frozen drink.
- Essential Oils – Buy therapeutic quality essential oils (not the essential oils that are just for fragrance – make sure they are safe to consume) and add them to water for a big hit of flavor. I love citrus essentials oils like lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit mixed with peppermint or spearmint. Reminder: citrus oils are strong and can break down plastic so drink essential oil infused water in a metal or glass container.
- Sport Drink + Mixers – A sports drink is a classic way to hydrate, so you probably already have a decent supply at home. Stretch the calories and sugar out by combining sports drink with diet lemon lime soda, sparkling water or even coconut water!
I am also a BIG fan of insulated tumblers and reusable water bottles. We have a good selection of insulated tumblers, aluminum water bottles and refillable plastic bottles for sport events, packing a beach bag or heading outside to work in the yard. It may be all in my head, but a pretty pineapple patterned cup certainly makes keeping hydrated a little easier!
Barbara is the mom behind the blog. She began writing in 2012 as the creator of Hello Life, a craft & lifestyle blog. As life evolved, and her kids became more involved in sports, she aimed to create a site that would resonate with moms like her, and in 2017 Modern Sports Mom was born. Like many of today’s mamas, she loves being creative, cooking, and fashion, and when there are a few minutes to spare, a good book. A baseball and football mom, she is fueled by her strong faith, dedication to her family, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee! Barbara lives in California with her husband, kids, dog, and cat.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.